- Home Page
- About Us
- Board of Directors
- Day of Caring
History of United Way of Haywood County
United Way of Haywood County is a voluntary, non-profit organization, which emphasizes broad citizen involvement and seeks to provide financial, volunteer and professional resources to effectively and efficiently meet human needs in our community. United Way exists because of the spirit of volunteerism.
- The United Fund of Waynesville, Hazelwood and Lake Junaluska was established in 1955.
- During the first campaign, $33,884 was raised in this area.
- United Fund of Canton-Bethel-Clyde was started sometime later.
- In 1994 the two funds merged to become the United Way of Haywood County.
- The first Leadership Giving Program was introduced in 1996.
- Day of Caring was started in 1997 with 42 volunteers completing 15 projects.
Hundreds of volunteers give of their time to raise funds for United Way agency services, to plan for meeting changing community needs, and to corrdinate collaborative community services that will improve the quality of lives.